Welcome to the Building Department
The purpose of the Building Department is to protect the safety and health of the citizens of Carbon County by doing plan review and field inspections to ensure compliance with adopted building codes.
The County Building Department serves all unincorporated and incorporated areas of the county.
Where is the building department
751 E 100 N Ste 2600 (Second Floor)
Price, UT 84501
When do I need a Permit
- New construction
- Changing occupancy
- New power or gas services
- Altering electrical, gas, or plumbing systems
- Window replacement
- Solar Panels
Work exempt from a building permit include:
- Agricultural buildings that meet the requirements for the Utah Agricultural Waiver
- Residential sheds and structures under 200 square feet
- Fences not over 7 feet high
- Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet high from bottom of footing to top of wall
- Sidewalks and driveways
- Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops, and similar finish work
- Prefab swimming pools less than 24 inches deep
- Swings and playground equipment
- Window awnings
If you are not sure if a project requires a building permit, please call (435) 636-3260 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to verify.
Failure to obtain a building permit before starting work will result in a penalty and fine.
What codes are enforced
- 2018 International Building Code, including Appendix J
- 2015 International Residential Code
- 2018-Appendix Q of 2018 IRC
- 2018 IPC, 2018 IMC, 2018 IFGC, 2017 NEC
What are the design criteria for Carbon County?
- Ground Snow Load
- Wind Speed - 115 mph exposure C
- Seismic Design - C and Do west of Helper
- Weathering - Severe
- Frost line depth - 24" and 36" in Scofield
What do I need for a building permit?
Apply online or visit our office at 751 E 100 N Suite 2600 in Price.
Or call during the hours of 8am - 5pm, Monday - Thursday or 8 am - 3pm on Friday.
The Following must be submitted for a building permit:
- Completed online application
- Contractor's name(s) and license number or a signed and notarized
Owner/Builder Certification Form- *if Do-It-Yourselfer
- A site plan drawn with dimensions on 8.5" x 11" paper showing lot shape and dimensions, showing the street, front of the lot, and the setbacks to property lines of all existing and proposed structures, utilities, and septic systems, including field drain, if applicable
- A complete set of building plans are required in PDF format
If you are building in the East Carbon, Helper, Price City, Wellington, or Scofield Town you must provide proof of city zoning approval.
Helper - http://www.helpercity.net/
Wellington - http://wellingtonutah.us/
East Carbon - https://eastcarboncity.org
Price City - https://www.pricecityutah.com
Proof of fees paid:
- Water connection from the Price River Water Improvement District (PRWID) (435) 637-6350
- If central culinary water is not available, spring or well approval from Utah State Engineer - (435) 613-3750
- Sewer hook-up from PRWID (435) 637-6350 or the Scofield Reservoir Special Service District - (435) 636-3226
- If area is not served by sewer, Individual Wastewater (septic) approval and permit must be obtained from Southeast Utah Health District - (435) 637-3671
NO APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED WITHOUT ALL OF THE ITEMS THAT ARE LISTED ABOVE. 15 BUSINESS DAYS ARE NORMALLY REQUIRED TO PROCESS YOUR APPLICATION FOR APPROVAL.
What inspections will I need for a NEW home?
Footings, Walls, Structural Slabs - prior to pouring concrete
Concrete Slab or Under Floor Inspection:
Electrical and Plumbing Prior to Concrete
Shear Wall Fasteners:
Before Covering Sheathing
Lath and Flashing:
Stucco - Prior to covering
Only if living space above garage
Call at least 24 hours (48 hours if located in Scofield, Clear Creek, or Beaver Creek areas) in advance to schedule - (435) 636-3260
What do I need for Gas or Power Clearance?
OBTAIN A BUILDING PERMIT
Request inspection when installation is complete but prior to utility connection
Test on service with 1/2 # increment gauge for 10 minutes at 5 psi
Gas Piping Certification Form completed
Contact Dominion Energy to request connection
New construction requires an Early Power Agreement Form completed
Contact Rocky Mountain Power to request connection
Where can I view the Snow Load Map?
Director of Building and Planning
Permit Tech/Administrative Assistant
To Schedule a Building Inspection or