Welcome to the Carbon County Building Permit Portal
The Building Department permits and inspects construction activity in Carbon County to protect the life, health and property of our community.
Building Permit Information
Any owner or owner’s authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be performed, shall first make application to the building department and obtain the required permit.
Some exemptions may apply. Contact the Building Department for specifics.
Failure to obtain the necessary permit prior to beginning work will result in additional penalty fees.
A building permit application may be completed online or in person at the County Building & Planning Office (751 East 100 North, Suite 2600, Price UT, 84501)
Applicants will need the following information:
- Owners name, address, phone, email
- Address of project
- Parcel number of project location (SEARCH)
- Contractor’s license number and phone number
- Owner / Builder Form (if required)
- Description of project
- A complete plan set including site plan - file must be submitted as PDF, jpgs or other file types will not be accepted
- Any other required docs such as Structural Engineering, Res-Check, Truss specs, etc…
Building Permit Application Online Portal
PLEASE READ-APPLICATION PORTAL NOTES
- PUT HOME OWNERS NAME IN THE NAME BOX (1ST BOX)
- UNDER SITE ADDRESS, LEAVE STREET NUMBER BOX BLANK (USE STREET NAME BOX)
- IF A NEW HOME APPLICATION, PUT LOT # OR PENDING IN STREET NAME BOX. (ADDRESS WILL BE ASSIGNED WITH PERMIT)
- ALWAYS CLICK SUBMIT WHEN YOUR APPLICATION IS COMPLETED AND WHEN UPLOADING DOCUMENTS
If you need help with this application , please call (435) 636-3260 or come into the Carbon County Building and Planning Office located at 751 E 100 N, Ste. 2600, Price, UT 84501 to apply.
*Creation of profile is required. Additional fees apply to all online payments.
When do I need a permit?
- New construction
- Changing occupancy
- New power or gas services
- Altering electrical, gas, or plumbing systems
- Window replacement
- Solar Panels
Work exempt from a building permit include:
- Agricultural buildings that meet the requirements for the Utah Agricultural Waiver
- Sheds and structures under 200 square feet
- Fences not over 7 feet high
- Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet high from bottom of footing to top of wall
- Sidewalks and driveways
- Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops, and similar finish work
- Prefab swimming pools less than 24 inches deep
- Swings and playground equipment
- Window awnings
If you are not sure if a project requires a building permit, please call (435) 636-3260 to verify.
Failure to obtain a building permit before starting work will result in a penalty and fine.
What do I need to apply for a building permit?
Apply online or visit our office at 751 E 100 N Suite #2600 in Price during the hours of 8am to 5pm Monday - Thursday or 8am to 3pm on Friday.
The Following must be submitted for a building permit:
- Completed and signed Building Permit Application form (can also be submitted online).
- Contractor's name(s) and license number or a signed.
- Owner/Builder Certification Form- *if Do-it Yourselfer.
- A plot plan drawn to scale on 8.5" x 11" paper showing lot shape and dimensions, showing the street, front of the lot, and the setbacks to property lines of all existing and proposed structures, utilities, and septic systems, including field drain, if applicable. Cabins in the MR and WS zones require a natural build-able site of 20,000 square feet having slopes less than 30 percent, or:
- If you are building in East Carbon, Helper, Price City, Wellington, or Scofield Town, you must provide proof of city zoning approval.
- A complete plan set including site plan (file must be submitted as PDF, jpgs or other file types will not be accepted) showing the following:
- Footing and foundation plan
- Wall framing, columns and beams with sizes - a cross section is preferred
- Floor framing, girder, joist and blocking sizes and spans
- Roof framing/rafter size and span or stamped truss sheet details (truss sheets may be deferred if on plan)
- Electrical plan
- Plumbing plan
- Heating, cooling, and ventilation plans with cooling and heating loss calculations
- Gas pipe sizing calculations
Engineered WET stamped plans are required for all structures in the Scofield area Do Seismic zone. Copies will not be accepted. Engineered WET stamped plans may be required for your home or cabin if a light frame home has any of the following: unusual shapes or sizes, foundation or basement walls higher than 9 feet, a walk out basement, or a basement with a garage. Log structures which are not simple rectangles and do not meet the county policy for log structures shall be engineered with WET stamped plans. Copies will not be accepted.
Proof of fees paid:
- Water connection from PRWID (435) 637-6350
- If central culinary water is not available, spring or well approval from Utah State Engineer, (435) 613-3750
- Sewer hook-up from PRWID (435-637-6350) or the Scofield Reservoir Special Service District (435) 636-3220
- If area is not served by sewer, Individual Wastewater (septic) approval and permit must be obtained from Southeast Utah Health District (435) -637-3671
- NO APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED WITHOUT ALL OF THE ITEMS THAT ARE LISTED ABOVE. 15 BUSINESS DAYS ARE NORMALLY REQUIRED TO PROCESS YOUR APPLICATION FOR APPROVAL
- When applying for a building permit in the unincorporated area of Carbon County a signed Road Encroachment Agreement must also be submitted to the County Road Shop (435) 636-3268
What inspections will I need?
- Footings, Walls, Structural Slabs - prior to pouring concrete
- Concrete Slab or Under Floor Inspection:
- Electrical and Plumbing Prior to Concrete
- Shear Wall Fasteners:
- Before Covering Sheathing
- Lath and Flashing:
- Stucco - Prior to covering
- Only if living space above garage
- Gas Meter
- For Occupancy
Call at least 24 hours in advance to schedule any inspections (435) 636-3260.
What codes are enforced?
- 2018 International Building Code, including Appendix J
- 2015 International Residential Code
- 2018-Appendix Q of 2018 IRC
- 2018 IPC, 2018 IMC, 2018 IFGC, 2017 NEC
What are the design criteria for Carbon County?
- Ground Snow Load
- Wind Speed - 115 mph exposure C
- Seismic Design - C and Do west of Helper
- Weathering - Severe
- Frost line depth - 24" and 36" in Scofield
What do I need for Gas or Power clearance?
- Obtain a building permit
- Request inspection when installation is complete but prior to utility connection
- Test on service with 1/2 # increment gauge for 10 minutes at 5 psi
- Gas Piping Certification Form completed
- Contact Dominion Energy to request connection
- New construction requires an Early Power Agreement Form completed
- Contact Rocky Mountain Power to request connection